Saturday, April 19, 2008

Buon Giorno Princepessa

I'm on a 'movie break' right now. I don't know why I even bother going to movies in the theater anymore. Watching a movie at home on DVD has so many advantages. During movie breaks I can get up, use the bathroom, have a snack, even blog. And parents will testify it's just not worth the cost. $20 bucks for tickets and $30 for babysitting? There just aren't a lot of movies I'd be willing to spend $50 to see. Plus, at home you have the advantages of being able to rewind the movie or pause it if you weren't sure what was going on or what was said. Hubby and I prefer now to watch all our DVDs with the subtitles on. Soooo much easier and not that distracting. I guess it started because our kids are sleeping and we can't turn the volume up too loud. Am I getting old or did people start talking faster in movies? Is that so they can fit more in? Movie break over, gotta go.

Back to the blog. Some movies, like the one I just watched, are just worth a few laughs for diversion and entertainment's sake and then they are done. Some movies stay with you for a long time. The best movie I've ever seen had subtitles too, even in the theater. That was because it was in Italian. La Vita e Bella. In English: Life is Beautiful.



I saw this movie in the theater in 1999 with my best friend. She had seen it and loved it, but I was a little skeptical about seeing a movie in a different language. Once I got used to reading and watching, it wasn't difficult at all. This movie touched me so much that I wept at the end, full of joy and sadness. Really, I full on wept. I don't cry all that often (maybe more now that I'm a mom) but this is the only movie that has brought me to such a conclusion. The romance in the story drew me into the characters lives, and then the struggles they experience are the meat of the plot. I don't want to say too much and give away what happens, but the story is one of true love. An 'agape' love.

Happily ever after, but then what? What romantic movie doesn't end with the couple kissing at the end, or having a wedding? Do you ever wonder, 'what happens after that?' For Life is Beautiful the wedding is in the middle and then you get to see the rest of the story.

I loved this movie and talked about it so much that my enthusiasm wore off and I got together a group of people to drive 75 miles one evening see it. Hubby was one of those people who came along and it became something we both loved. I also introduced him to Rita's Italian Ices that night, but that's a story for another post perhaps.

Hubby and I even painted this saying on the 34th street wall a few months later.



This movie stayed with us for 2 years and we chose the theme from this movie to be the first dance at our wedding, that is why it's on my Life Soundtrack. Life is beautiful has become almost a life motto for me. Oh yeah, and my blog title too! It reminds me of my favorite verse, John 10:10; "I came that they might have life, and have it abundantly." It's hard to believe sometimes that God wants us to have abundant life. Not a shallow life, but one full of love and joy, but enough of disappointment and troubles to make us long for the life to come.

So here it is, another song for my soundtrack. Let me know if you love this movie too or if I've inspired you to rent it. You seriously won't be sorry for taking the 116 minutes to watch it. It won like 3 Oscars (so the snooty people in Hollywood liked it too, surprise! Probably cause it was a foreign film....).

1 comment:

Heidi said...

It has been so fun for me to read your blog and catch up on things with you! I enjoyed each post and am so proud of the wonderful Mother, Wife and daughter of God that you have become! It is nice to be re-united again! Heidi