Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Clair de Lune, Debussy

Click play to hear the song:



I love music, but there's something about the violin that touches me specifically. If a song has a beautiful violin solo or is a classical piece heavy on strings I can melt away into the song. Songs like "To love you more" by Celine Dion make me forget it has words and just make me want to play 'air violin.'

So I could include tons of songs on my soundtrack that have wonderful violin solos. This is one I had my bridesmaids walk down the aisle to on our wedding day. I remember playing it one day in my apartment and I was walking to another room. When I heard the violin come in at the beginning I stopped dead in my tracks. It was so beautiful!

In college I started listening to classical music and developed this love of the violin. It made me want to learn how to play. Of course it's really quite hard to learn how to play an instrument if you don't have one. So I asked for a violin for Christmas one year from my parents. They thought I was was nuts, but kept their eye out and heard about someone who was selling a violin. So on Christmas day 1999 I got my violin! I took lessons for a couple of months after that and even played Cannon in D in my friend's wedding in August 2000. I was only playing the 9 note melody while the experienced violinist played the hard part. I stopped taking lessons after I got married (thus not having the parental funding). Now my violin collects dust under my bed and when I hear these songs I want to get it out and learn to play again. I'm afraid at the moment, I play air violin better than the real thing.

Maybe one day I'll pick up the violin again, or take dance lessons again, or do more singing, or open that Rita's Italian Ice place. There are lots of things I'd like to do, but for right now it seems that my time is mainly given to raising these cute kiddos. When I was out at Publix this morning I had to wait for an older woman coming out of the door before I could go in. She remarked that I had more precious cargo than she did and it reminded me that this is a special time in my life with these youngsters (even if right now I'm trying to keep G from hitting my computer and me with his toy car).

2 comments:

Heidi said...

You are so talented and I love that you started playing the violin!! Yes, there is a time and season....my season also includes lots of diapers, peanut butter sandwiches and lots of lovely kisses and 'I love you's' We are so blessed!!

dbrunson said...

I have never met you but totally adore your wonderful and beautiful personality via blogging. I too love the violin and thoroughly enjoyed "Clair de Lune, Debussy" while reading about your beautiful life. Tori is my most wonderful neice (her Mom, Jeannie is my baby sister). While readling Tori's blog I came across yours. What a wondful treat that you two young Mama's have each other and your children have great playmates. I am a "MeMaw" with a grandson age 5 and a granddaughter age 3. They are my precious precious gifts in life. Happy being a Mama - enjoy them - they make terrific friends as grownups! :}