Friday, August 8, 2008

The Golden Rule

Hubby and I are at our wits end sometimes. I think we forget that our daughter is not even 4 years old and we expect much more from her. I hope that is the case anyway, and that we aren't raising a selfish brat. When I read other moms blogs, or am on the phone with another mom and hear their kids doing the same as mine I take comfort (it's the ones with the perfect angels that I just don't relate well to).

One lesson we just can't get to sink in for A is the Golden Rule. You know, do unto others as you'd have done to you. She just will grab (or should I say snatch) a toy from G, push him down, or hit him with something. This week in particular has been trying. We've all had a cold and so not only are we all sick (meaning less energy, less patience) we've also not been able to go anywhere and have been stuck at home inside, going a bit stir crazy. They've watched more than their quota of videos this week.

I don't really know the solution for this but prayer. Prayer that we are doing the right things, prayer that she would change and grow in self-control, prayer that we'd be patient and not just get so frustrated with her. One's sense of justice can overpower a desire to be calm when you see some child tackle your own child and take their toy, even if the offender is your own child. I still get that Mother Cub feeling and want to protect G from all that.

I keep telling her that we don't let G do those things to her and we aren't going to let her do them to him. Patience, patience, right? What happened to the light at the end of the tunnel I had been seeing in regards to her turning a corner in her attitude? I can't wait for school to start again! More regularity in our week, other people encouraging good social skills with her, plus a break for me.

Then there are those sweet times like tonight when, after reading bedtime stories, she just wanted to cuddle with G in my lap, then sing to him and pray with him before bed. My darling little girl.

1 comment:

torinem said...

No worries, Lark! You are not the only ones dealing with this! Lily's favorite thing to do is to pull Ava's hands off the coffee table so she falls down.