Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Cookie Suit

Last weekend G pitched a fit when we tried his little suit on him for Sis's upcoming wedding. He lay on the ground crying and saying, "I don't wike it, jacket owf. Take it owf!' Plus he threw the ring bearer pillow on the ground. A did the same thing with her dress and said the beads were hurting her. Needless to say, I was not encouraged by this and in my head flew visions of screaming children running down the aisle or through the church like they were being tortured.

A friend gave me a little suit that was smaller and I tried it on him today. I picked after naptime because I thought he'd be more cooperative. He was not.

Then I got an idea!

A throwback to my psychology degree (see mom and dad, it was worth it!) I decided to use positive association with the suit. I said, 'hey Grant, do you want a cookie?' and told him when he got his suit all on that we'd go get a cookie. He cooperated slightly better though he was still grabbing at the coat wanting to take it off. I called it his Cookie outfit and I think I'm going to try putting it on him every few days to get him used to it. Maybe he'll even WANT to put it on so he can have a cookie. We've got 3 weeks until the big day, so hopefully this will work!

Here we are in the pantry anticipating the cookie



Jacket on, success! Do you think we could move from unhappy to slightly happy?



Okay! That's a little bit of a smile! I think we are on to something here.




A mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do, right?

1 comment:

Bellamarin said...

oh this is just adorable! Good luck!