Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Big Day (part 2)

After G had his hair cut the girls all got to the salon to have our hair done too. A did pretty good through the process and was still and didn't fuss about it. It may have been the unlimited cookie supply I was feeding her...but hey! there are no real rules on wedding day.


So, with hair done and makeup finished we were off to the church to get in our dresses and have some pictures taken. I was running around (as usual) getting my dress on, helping the photographers, moving things, finding things, getting the veil put in her hair, and on and on. Once I got myself ready I looked around for A to get her into her dress. After looking for a little bit I found her...



She was passed out on a chair. I didn't know if I should wake her up or just let her sleep. I figured it was too late now so I just decided to let her sleep through the before ceremony pictures and perhaps she might get a 30 minute nap in to refresh her. Was she like waking Sleeping Beauty from her sleep? No way. More like waking up a fire-breathing dragon. She was VERY cranky and didn't want to do anything, didn't want to get in her dress or have her 'princess crown' on, or get in her tights or shoes. Didn't want to hold her basket or throw the flowers. What was I going to do!? The ceremony started in 20 minutes and I had to get her from cranky to cooperative.

I knew she really wasn't trying to be in a bad mood, she just was tired. At one point she said, "Mommy! My smile just won't come out!" Poor thing. We got her all ready (by the way, G got in his tux no problem, but never did get his shoes on), and were in the back of the church waiting for it to be time to walk down the aisle. My Uncle came and saved the day, he started joking around with A and made her laugh and smile and forget about being cranky. No one else could make her smile or laugh, not even Daddy or Mommy, but my uncle was saying things like 'ooh, that wall just bit my elbow' and A thought it was great.

Now, over to G. He seemed like he was doing okay. Then Daddy had to walk my grandparents down the aisle and he had a fit. Once Hubby was out of the area he would cry. And it was pretty loud. I had to take him outside, talk to him a little bit and got him calmed down, but once I came back in it was crying all over again. Then it was my turn to walk down the aisle. And what was I supposed to do? I just walked down and hoped for the best. I got to the front and saw A coming down, sprinkling her petals just as coached. Then when she ran out, she put the basket in her mouth and walked to the front row to claim her lollipop. G never did make it down, Hubby must have gone back to get him because next thing I knew he was sitting up there next to A with his own lollipop. And besides a little comment about Diego during the scripture reading, both kids were quiet and well behaved during the service. My best friend sat up there with Hubby to help, yay! Whew. It was finally over, I got a little emotional as I walked out with the best man, watching the new married couple.

Here's G passing the picture time with Daddy. Notice his 'after' picture for the hair cut. I wasn't too brave was I? She said she cut off 2 inches though! It still has a little curl to the bottom which I was very happy to still have. But she did even it up in places and Unmullet it, which was the important thing, hehehe.





The pictures were up next and they were pretty crazy but finally everything was ironed out and the reception began. It included some interesting highlights like me falling down a brick staircase, the bride's shoe getting stuck in the dance floor, and A almost falling into the river. I gave my toast, I took care of the bride when red wine got spilled on her dress, Hubby and I shared a dance (sort of...if you count alternately picking up children together as dancing) but it was to our song so it was special anyway.

I didn't feel like I had much time to take it all in, but it was beautiful. The reception looked like something out of a magazine. Lights strung up over the garden, the beautiful floral centerpieces, and the (expensive!) linens in pink, green, black, and white were perfect. I think my mom said it all when she said, 'it made all the money and time we spent preparing worth it to see how happy Sis looked and such joy on both of their faces.' It was a beautiful day and the weather was just right. It rained a little bit that morning but was perfect for the evening.

No comments: