Wednesday, March 25, 2009

North and South

If you've talked to me in the last year you've likely been subject to my proselytizing. I've fallen in love with the BBC and in particular a series called North and South. Now, if you are thinking of the 80's TV series about the Civil War, please don't tell me. My husband likes to tease me by saying "Oh, isn't that one about the Civil War?" because he knows it drives me nuts.

What started in early 2008 as watching a few Jane Austen adaptations on PBS led me to seek out other period dramas. Somewhere in the 38 different movies I watched last year I discovered North and South, and it is my favorite of all of them. Now, I don't even know if I can call it movie, since it's 4 hours long. It is about a girl in the 1850's who has to move from a country town in Southern England to a Northern town known for it's cotton industry. It's based on a book by Elizabeth Gaskell. You may not have heard of her, but she was friends with the Bronte sisters (she wrote Charlotte's biography) and with Charles Dickens who published her novel as a weekly series in his magazine.

Since I have such a love for this movie series and relatively few people have heard of it, I decided to have a girls movie night where we could watch it all together. We started around 6:30 last Saturday and we finished up around 11pm. We had a great time and I think everyone enjoyed the movie (if they didn't I don't want to know!) It was neat to see it on a big screen since the first time I saw it was on youtube.com!





And if you are interested in seeing this (you'll love it if you like Jane Austen/Charles Dickens) you can find it on Netflix, your local library, or just save yourself the trouble and buy it online. I only owned one DVD before I purchased this one, I just don't buy DVDs, but I HAD to have this for my own.

No comments: