Saturday, June 20, 2009

Mischevious Messes

I've been sick for the past few days which means the kids have had a little more 'unsupervised play time.' They generally play pretty well together, but all moms will agree that when they are playing quietly, THAT is when to be worried.

So the other day we had just given them each a new toy because of G learning to use the potty. We told him when he kept his pants dry all day we would get him a new toy. And A had helped him a lot along the way and had done a good job encouraging him as a big sister.

I was resting on the couch and they were playing in G's room. I thought they'd be occupied pretty well with their new toys and I heard them banging on closet doors and playing. It wasn't until I heard A say, "Now rub the baby powder all over too" that I jumped up from the couch and ran to see what they were up to.

They had found a bag of maternity clothes that had baby powder and also Lashinoh lanolin cream in it. G had rubbed the lanolin all over his tummy and A was putting it on a metal folding chair. If you don't know what lanolin is, just imagine Vaseline and you are on the right track. Very greasy and water resistant. Awesome. So I tried to wipe them off with a wipe but it wasn't working so I just put G in the tub and soaped him off. I didn't take a picture of that mess since the cream is mostly clear. However, I did get a chance to take a picture of another mess later on that day (aren't I lucky!?).

I put G down for his nap and then put A in her room for quiet time. She wanted to bead some necklaces so I cut her some string and gave her beads and asked her to stay quiet in her room until 3pm so I could lay down and rest. Around 3:15 she still wasn't out of her room so I thought, 'how sweet, she knows I'm not feeling good and she's letting me rest.' I was planning to tell her how proud I was that she stayed in her room the whole time and didn't wake me up. Well, I walked in and saw this...



Glitter, glue, and water. I really don't know why she thought adding water would help her picture.



I think the Lord allowed this to happen when I was sick because I didn't even have enough energy to get mad and react in anger. I just made her sit in my bathroom until I was finished cleaning it up.


These weren't the same day, but here are some other recent messes I had to take pictures of:


G loves to have 'water time' in the bathroom. Unfortunately I've had to say "This is a bathroom, not a waterpark!" more than once.



And they really love to find the baby powder high up on the shelf above the dresser.




Fortunately baby powder (without lanolin) isn't too hard to clean up, I just wipe it off and pat it around, and it actually leaves a nice smell in the carpet.


Isn't that an awesome baby powder hand print on the couch? Thanks Messy Kids!!

No comments: