Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Feliz Cumpleanos!

So this year we had their birthday parties together again. It is so much easier to do a big party one time than two small parties. Plus, so many of A's friends have siblings that are friends with G and visa versa. So they'd all be coming to both parties anyway.

This year the theme was Dora and Diego, a good gender neutral theme. I made the invitations using my StoryBook Creator Program. Fun and easy.



I made the cakes the night before using the Wilton Dora and Diego Cake pans. I'd bought a cake pan for the Elmo party I did for A's 2nd birthday, but these were a lot more labor intensive than I'd thought!


They didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, but the kids liked them and that was the important thing. And at 10 pm I was sure I was going to run out of icing, finally finished the cakes up at 2 am and took this picture. Glad I learned that lesson from the VeggieTales cake because the Dora cake got bumped on the way to the party and she lost her nose, mouth and part of her shirt. I was trying to decide how angry I was about that as I smoothed her out and fixed her up. Even though Dora looked a bit demented, I decided I wouldn't be too angry about it.

Here's the group shot in front of the mural I painstakingly hung up the night before with a friend. It was left over from VBS and went well with the Dora and Diego theme.


For games Hubby put together a fun scavenger hunt based on Dora adventures. The kids had to read clues and run to find the next clue that would lead them to the Pinata. They had to go over the bridge and talk to the Grumpy Old Troll.


Then they ran off to find clues in the sanctuary and in 'Mouse's House' on the playground. Then it was back to the field to 'Chocolate Tree'


where they all got some chocolate and their last clue. In the Youth Building they found the pinata and what do you know but Swiper was there, trying to swipe the Pinata. The kids had to say "Swiper No Swiping, Swiper No Swiping, Swiper NO Swiping" and he said, "Oh man!"


Then it was Pinata time


And everybody got a few hits at it and no one was even close to breaking it open. So...


We just had to rip it open. But the kids liked it anyway. It was a fun party and I hope the kids enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed planning it!


2 comments:

Melanie said...

The cakes look awesome! I totally feel your pain about staying up until 2am to finish them. But you gotta do what you gotta do, right? :)

Kristin Livesay said...

This was such a fun party...I'm a little late on catching up on my blogs :)