Gift Giving

I was in Toys R Us the other day and saw a sign advertising their "Wish List Registry". It's billed as a great way to let others know what your child really wants this Christmas. You can register your child's wants and even update as a gift is received or make changes online.  Something didn't sit right with me as I read the sign. I can't say it's not convenient, but it made me wonder what a strange thing gift-giving is nowadays.

Why do we even give gifts at Christmas? Isn't gift-giving a way to show someone we love and care about them, to see a need or desire they have and to fill it with a gift?

How do we go about picking out gifts? Surely Mary did not register Jesus for Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh. We must know someone well if we want to pick out a good gift for them, their tastes, their needs, etc.

I'm sure you've been given a gift that you didn't want, need, or like. What are your options then? You can take it back to the store, sell it, give it away, or just add it to the closet.

So you don't want YOUR gift to someone else to go unappreciated, but then, how do you pick a gift for someone when you aren't sure what they need or desire? Well we even have handy dandy gift cards to stores where the recipient can even pick out whatever they want, you just pick the store. Or should you just send cash because then they can pick any store. What if they wanted to give a gift to you? Should they just send you some cash too? And if you send them the same amount, is that considered 're-gifting'?

Where do we draw the line here? We could just start transferring money electronically to people's bank accounts instead of sending a card too!

Don't get me wrong, I love getting gifts and gift cards from loved ones. Really. I really like them. I also love that people will ask me what kind of things I'd like, and that is all fine and good. But I just feel like we are loosing the whole point of gift-giving when it becomes obligatory.

Long ago God gave us a gift. Wrapped in swaddling clothes and laid in a manger. It was perfect, exactly what we always wanted and needed, a SAVIOR!

But many people didn't think they really needed a savior. The religious elite of the day were hoping for a Savior, but this wasn't the messiah they'd registered for. They wanted a refund or to exchange for a savior who would save them from political oppression, not from the oppression of their own sin.

God is standing at your door and offering you Jesus. Now what do you do? You can't take Jesus back to the stable for a refund or exchange but you can reject the gift and never know the peace he'd bring into your life. Another option is to accept him as a gift and then just keep him in the closet. Basically smiling through your teeth saying, 'oh! what I've always wanted' and then putting him away and still you miss out on forgiveness and His peace.

OR you can wholeheartedly realize what a gift has been given to you, accept this gift of forgiveness, wearing it like a garment everyday. You can enjoy the peace that comes in knowing that no matter what happens in this world, your future with Him is sure. It's up to you what you do with the gift that is offered to you.

It's been some time ago that I accepted God's gift. It is THE most important thing in my life and I would be a totally different person without Him. I don't usually use my blog to encourage people to consider Jesus, But this is on my mind and if you haven't accepted this gift I am praying that you would, but it's your choice to make. If you'd like to know more about how to accept His gift, you can ask me personally or find out more at: http://www.ccci.org/how-to-know-god/would-you-like-to-know-god-personally/index.htm

Comments