Monday, June 17, 2013

Cedar Key Novels

I heard of a book series about Cedar Key recently so I decided to go for it. I thought it would be interesting to read about a local place in the context of an interesting novel. It certainly did make me want to drop by Cedar Key for a visit, seems like a laid back place that time forgot.

The series follows the lives of the 4 Clayborne sisters, Kim, Jayme-Leigh, Heather, and Ami. The first book, Chasing Sunsets, is all about Kim's divorce and her vacation in Cedar Key during her sons' 5 week visit with their father. Her time in Cedar Key leads to the rekindling of a summer romance from her teen years. Some family secrets are also unearthed in her visit and I thought it overall was a good read, though a little predictable at times.

The second book, Waiting for Sunrise, seemed like it was a tangent storyline about the woman who lived next door to the Claybornes' summer home in Cedar Key. It only pulled in the characters from the first book a few times and it didn't affect the storyline at all, just more of an update on what those people were doing.

I just finished the third book, Slow Moon Rising, and I have to say it was my least favorite of the trilogy. All though a lot of ends were tied up that had been left open in the first book, but it was really predictable and lacking for me. The relationships within the book like the conversations between sisters were real and believable. But for the beginning stages of the romances the author just didn't have a great way for the characters to get together. In all of the books it seemed the people just 'fell in love' on the spot and were sharing their deepest darkest secrets with a person they had just met. For me that was just not very believable and made me roll my eyes several times as I was reading. Then one line that I remembered laughing about was that one character looked around at a family gathering and said something like, "It's so hard to believe that we all married incredibly handsome men! I don't know how we all did that." I found it hard to believe as well.

I could go on about the series and what I disliked and liked, but it was a good series for what it's meant to be, light summer reading. Once I started the first and second books I finished them quickly to find out what happened. But the third book took a lot longer to get into, but after about 7 chapters I was into it and didn't put it down. I didn't have any nightmares or lingering thoughts about it after I was done (like World War Z) and I didn't ponder the meaning of life because of it's depth, but for a fluff read it was good.

I received a copy of this book through the Revell Blogger Review Program, in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.


No comments: