Holier Than Thou

 





I should have read the subtitle and known this book was going to hit me smack dab in the middle of my trust issues. It's not a secret that the past few years have led to a dissolution of my trust of other Christians. Thankfully this book reminds me that while people are incredibly problematic, God is not just a 'better version' of humanity, he is holy. Because of his holiness he is trustworthy.

Jackie Hill Perry reminds us that our sin stems from unbelief and thus digs to the root of the rebellion we exhibit on the surface. For believers, our desire to reflect God's holiness often results in a try harder gospel as we desperately try to clean up ourselves. In this book she calls us to turn our face away from our own circumstances and set our sights on God. Nothing we have on earth can compete with the beauty of the Lord; he is beyond comparison. Yet, the reaction of those who have gazed on God's holiness is not first praise, but always an instantaneous self-awareness of their own unworthiness and confession. We must be covered in his righteousness to stand before him. 

We are called to 'Be Holy as I am Holy' and it does not come from simply getting our act together but by being transformed by what we behold. Perry delights in gazing at the goodness of God and compels us to look to Him and delight in his beauty in the Word. As we behold his goodness, we come to believe it. As belief roots itself in our minds and hearts our actions are transformed and we become a reflection of his holiness. Moses's face radiated after spending time with the Lord. Psalm 115:8 says that those who make idols will become like them. So, it is with us - we become like what we behold, and we should not be surprised if we look to the world more than to Christ that we look more like it than Jesus. 

I'm thankful for this call to rest my delight in looking to the author of my salvation, the holy God. It is not my efforts that transform my life, but His Spirit at work in me. Because He is holy, he is good and ultimately trustworthy.



I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions are my own.

Comments